Cooking could be one of the earliest abilities in the world. That does not mean that there are any type of restrictions to the understanding readily available for the cook interested in increasing his/her skills. Also the finest cooks, also specialists, can always discover new recipes, methods and also techniques to enhance their kitchen abilities, so lets try this Grandma Norma's Red Hot Apple Pie recipe, we hope you like it.
Food preparation a big meal for pals or household calls for a large amount of prep work beforehand. Constantly have all components prior to starting to cook. Prepare everything the day prior, consisting of the correct utensils as well as other cooking tools. This will help you in keeping one's cool and doing your best.
You can cook Grandma Norma's Red Hot Apple Pie using 15 ingredients and 19 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Check out this cooking video !!
Ingredients of Grandma Norma's Red Hot Apple Pie:
- Use Crust.
- Provide 2 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour.
- Use 1 tsp Salt.
- You need 1 cup Unsalted Butter.
- Prepare 8 tbsp Ice Water.
- You need to prepare Filling.
- Use 9 Granny Smith or Pippin Apples.
- Provide 12 oz cinnamon imperials (Red Hots).
- Use 3/4 cup sugar.
- You need 1/4 cup flour.
- You need 1/4 cup corn starch.
- Use 1/2 cup unsalted butter.
- Use Crust Coat/Dressing.
- You need to prepare 1 egg yolk.
- Provide 1 sugar crystal.
Grandma Norma's Red Hot Apple Pie instructions :
- Chill All ingredients in refrigerator for flakey crust. Including bowl and pie pan..
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour into a bowl. Add 1 tsp of Salt..
- Cut 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter into flour. Cut butter into small slices and mix into flour with a fork or dough cutter..
- add 8 tbs of ice cold water to dough. Mix with hands, adding small amounts of water if needed to get a good dough mixture..
- Toss Dough into a large ball. Do not over mix. Add small amounts of water to dough but be careful not to add too much. Split ball in half and press into 2, 6" round, 1" high halfs. Chill halfs in refrigerator for about 2 hours..
- Remove 1 of the dough rounds from refrigerator. Throw down sprinkled flour on mat, surface and rolling pin to help with sticking. Roll out into thin circle. Line 9" - 10" deep dish pie plate..
- Decore and peel apples. Cut apples into 1/8 slices. Add to pie..
- Add 12oz of cinnamon imperials (red hots). Mix them evenly..
- Mix together 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of corn starch, and 1/4 cup of flour.
- cut 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter into thin slices. Place evenly over pie ingredients..
- Roll out other half of round dough from refrigerator into thin round cover. Place over pie. Cut extra dough from edges of top and bottom of pie. Pinch and roll back edges of top and bottom pie crust together..
- Mix 1 egg yolk with small amount of water. Egg bath seal the top by brushing yolk/water mix evenly over top of pie..
- Sprinkle sugar or sugar crystals (larger candy like sugar crystals) on top of egg yolk for flavor and look..
- Slice 4 large cuts evenly in top of pie. 4 small ones in between the large. Do it in a circle pattern alternating large and small cuts. Do not cut to close to center..
- Place the pie in the middle of the oven. Remove any racks above or below the pie as it gets messy when she bakes. Keep an eye on your pie through a window. Opening the door constantly will ruin the constant temperature to make the pie go from good to amazing..
- **ONLY FOR LARGE OVENS** preheat oven to 425°F. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 continue baking for 1 hour..
- **SMALLER OVENS** Preheat to 375°F. Bake for one hour 35 minutes..
- ** Note ** All ovens bake a little different. If crust begins to burn and apples in pie are still hard, remove pie and cover crust with aluminum foil. Do not wrap foil tightly around pie. Leave it loose so it can breathe. Reinsert pie continue baking..
- **Note** Do not keep checking on pie by opening oven door. Turn light on and check through window. You can periodically toward end of baking open doors and use a fork or pick through vent slots in the pie to check on the consistency of the apples..
There are couple of hobbies as satisfying and also fulfilling as cooking. Not just can you flex your innovative muscles, you can likewise supply tasty meals for your family members. Expanding your understanding of cooking is certain to enhance your time in the kitchen. Trying Grandma Norma's Red Hot Apple Pie recipe is a fantastic means to do just that.
If you find this Grandma Norma's Red Hot Apple Pie recipe useful please SHARE it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.