Are you a cooking guru? Possibly you are just a kitchen area expert? Or like lots of others, you may be a beginner.Whatever the instance might be, practical cooking suggestions can add some fresh suggestions to your cooking. Take a while as well as find out a few points that can sprinkle some brand-new fun right into your kitchen regimen. This Grandma's Apple Pie recipe maybe a perfect fit for you.
Damp paper towel and a plastic bag can prolong the life of your eco-friendlies. If you wrap your fresh natural herbs or fresh environment-friendlies with a damp paper towel and then position them in a plastic bag, they will certainly last longer. They will normally stay fresh 3 to 4 days longer if you do.
You can have Grandma's Apple Pie using 16 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you do it.
Check out this cooking video !!
Ingredients of Grandma's Apple Pie:
- You need lattice-top pie.
- Use 2 cup all-purpose flour.
- Use 1 tsp salt.
- Use 2/3 cup shortening or chilled butter, cut into small cubes (unsalted unless making a savory pie).
- You need to prepare 2 tbsp sugar (granulated or icing sugar).
- Use 1 ice cold water (around 6-8 tablespoons).
- Use 3 egg yolks.
- Provide pie filling.
- Provide 6 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I prefer Gala, Fuji or Pacific Rose).
- You need 3/4 to 1 cup sugar, according to apples used (preferably powered).
- Use 2 tbsp flour for thickening.
- You need to prepare 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- Provide pinch full of ground nutmeg.
- You need 1 tbsp lime juice.
- You need 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Provide 2 tbsp butter or margarine.
Grandma's Apple Pie instructions :
- For pastry; mix flour, salt and sugar together and add butter to it. Toss the mix with a fork until small pea-sized lumps begin to form..
- Slowly start adding ice cold water to the mixture, around 1 tablespoon at a time, while mixing it all together (in this step mix by using hands or a blender. Hands preferred so you know the consistency of the dough.). Continue adding water until the dough just starts to hold together. Do not add too much water or you will have a chewy, tough crust..
- Form the dough in a mound (do not over knead the dough. This will release gluten and spoil the texture of pie crust). Divide it into two parts. Form into ballls. Roll one balls out around 1/8 inch thick over a floured surface. You could choose to refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes before the rolling it out but that's optional..
- Line the rolled pastry in a pie plate, trim off the excess dough along the edges and cover the plate with some cling film. I used an 8 inch removal-bottom plate in this recipe..
- Toss the plate into fridge and let it cool for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Meanwhile heat your oven to 180°C..
- Remove the pie plate from the fridge, take off the cling film. Prick the lined pastry a few times all over with a fork. This will avoid formation of bubbles or uneven baking. But do not prick if filling and crust are baked together..
- Bake the pie for around 20 minutes or until it is golden in color. You could also line the pastry with baking paper, put some weights like beans over the baking paper and then bake. This too ensures no bubbles form in the pie crust..
- Let the pie crust cool. Beat 3 egg yolks and give the baked crust a nice egg wash. Bake again at 180°C for 5 minutes. This makes the crust water-proof, ie it won't get soggy after you add filling to the pie..
- Mix all the filling ingredients together and fill into the baked pie crust. Dot butter or margarine over the filling. I added a few cashew nut pieces to the filling for a little crunch..
- For the top crust, roll the other ball of dough (preferably refrigerated before rolling) and cut it into 1/2 inch thick stripes with a knife or a pizze cutter. Weave the mesh like pattern right over the pie plate after adding the filling. Trim off the excess dough along the edges of the plate. Give the top crust a nice egg wash..
- Bake the pie for about 50 minutes at 180°C or until top crust is nice and golden..
- Enjoy the fruits of your labor with some freah cream!.
Now that you have actually reviewed the Grandma's Apple Pie recipe, as well as you have the expertise that you require to do in the kitchen. Get that apron out, dust off your blending bowls as well as roll up your sleeves. You have some food preparation to do.
If you find this Grandma's Apple Pie recipe valuable please SHARE it to your friends or family, thank you and good luck.